16 May 2007

Life in the Burmese Boondocks

The other day I gave my students the following assignment: write a paragraph about what you like about Burma. I figured that so often people focus on what is wrong with Burma, that they lose sight of what is good. I could tell they were a bit confused at first, so I mentioned "Everyone says they always want to go back to Burma. Why do they say this?" Most of the responses to the assignment may as well have been taken from a tourism brochure. This was not exactly what I had in mind, but what could I do.

One student's story, however, I would like to share with you. She totally dismissed the assigned topic and instead decided to write about how the State Peace and Restoration Council (SPDC) has affected the little farming community where she grew up. I have only fixed some grammar, otherwise every word is her own.

My Village
My village is a pleasant place, which is surrounded by mountains. In our village, people live simple lives and most people are farmers. People don't have extra crops to sell, they only have enough food for their families. When the SPDC started the railway project in Southern Shan State it made the local people have a difficult life. They confiscated people's farms without offering the farmers compensation. Civilians' livelihoods were stolen and it created more unemployment and made it more difficult to survive. Many people couldn't get enough food and the village had more problems. There were more thieves robbing food for survival because most people depended on their farms. Local people not only lost their lands (farms) and they were forced to build the railway without food or salary. Sometimes they had to provide food for soldiers who supervised the work. If people didn't go to work for one day, they have to pay money for two days work, so people weren't absent. In addition, people had no way of earning an income. Therefore, people have insufficient access to food and famine was a part of people's daily existence.

No comments: